Updated: Oct 30, 2018
What is It?
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Gas Appliances
Gas appliances that are not working properly can produce carbon monoxide (CO). This highly toxic and invisible gas can cause serious illness, long term problems such as brain damage and even death, often very quickly.
CO is be produced as a result of the incorrect mixture of gas and air, i.e. by burning too much of one and not enough of the other.
This can happen if gas appliances have been incorrectly fitted, poorly repaired or not properly maintained. It can also be caused by blocked chimneys or vents.
What are the signs of a faulty appliance?
· Floppy or yellow flames rather than crisp blue;
· Signs of sooting on or around appliances;
· Pilot lights that keep blowing out.
What are the Symptoms of CO Poisoning?
· Loss of consciousness
Sometime these symptoms may be a bit like flu symptoms. If you get flu type symptoms you should always consider whether is could be CO poisoning.
Others signs that it may be CO poisoning is that the symptoms go when you are not in the house or others in the house also suffering similar symptoms.
What Should I do If I Suspect CO Poisoning?
· Get out of the house straight away. If possible turn off the gas and open the windows.
· Go to hospital and explain.
· Call the Gas Emergency Helpline 0800 111 999 so that the leak can be investigated.
· Ask a registered Gas Safe Engineer to inspect your gas appliances
What Can You Do To Ensure Your Gas Appliances Are Safe?
· Have your gas appliances checked each year. Please click here to see the services we offer.
· Install an audible CO alarm in each room that has a gas appliance.
A good alarm such as the "Kidde", pictured here, will usually cost between £15-20.
DO NOT use the “Dark Spot” detector type seen here. They do not make any noise when CO is detected. They also have to be replaced evert three months!!
Always ensure that the alarm complies with EN50291 (it will state this on it) and fit it according to the instructions.
Ensure that the alarm will last for at least 5 years, preferably 10 years. If in doubt do not hesitate to contact Hart Heating and Electrics. We will be happy to fit them for you.
https://www.hartheatingandelectrics.co.uk/ Telephone: 07855 471159